A requirement for my high school diploma is to complete 40 hours of community service. I have completed 15 and I am looking to complete the rest elsewhere. However, searching for a place to volunteer in my community seems to be difficult. I have tried three different places with no luck.
1. The Hospital
There is a bottle of hand sanitizer wherever you go. Who wouldn't you want to volunteer at the hospital? Unfortunately, they were not accepting volunteers. NOT ACCEPTING VOLUNTEERS. Fine. So they don't want my help. That's FINE.
2. The Library
Reading to little kids. I like little kids. Kind of. The librarian said that not many people wanted to do that and he told me that I would be able to start quickly. Great! I applied and received to response for 6 months. I re-applied and inquired why I haven't recieved a response and they said, "too many people have applied." OKIE BUDDY. And this was the day when some guy got kicked out of the library for searching... innappropriate content (I'll keep the blog PG if you don't mind.) They need me! Oh yes, they do.
3. The School
Ahh, my old elementary school. The wonderful memories. The dreadful memories. I asked to volunteer here! I applied. No response. I went back to let them know I have a week off of school and that I'm willing to help out. They saaaid that they've got volunteers from HUMBER COLLEGE and SHERIDAN COLLEGE... so they don't NEED ME! (Well, they said it nicely, but you get the idea.)
So, it seems like the community does not want or need my help. The education system of ours is trying to rob me of my diploma by attaching some pointless requirement onto it. Whatever happened to volunteering out of our own will? I'd be into that! I like to help people. But nobody wants me to. :(
Monday, January 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
MYNA BEBE!!
REJECTED. L-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-lOSER. <3.
I STILL LOVE YOU.
and theres still the old folks home, schools for the deaf and the blind, and you could volunteer for some of your teachers to be like a teachers assistant.
Or volunteer to be my assistant, i'll make you study and take all my exams.
that was me by the way. beans. yesyes the wonderful beans. volunteer for the airforce! wait...what does canada call it...
rejected by places that don't even pay, ouch, that's pretty rough... if you get desperate enough, try an animal shelter or a homeless shelter? or pester the hospital to a degree so great that they have to take you, or try another hospital. or run away to the northern coast of south africa and become a whale fisher.
You better keep your blog PG, or the brother police will come after you.
Look on the bright side, not being accepted for volunteering means you have more time to other "volunteering tasks" at home. Like cooking, baking cookies, cleaning, washing dishes, and helping to teach dad computer stuff.
Now, only if the big wigs at your high school accept that as volunteer work.
hahahah sweet. harsh. i escaped my volunteering requirements. ha!
go mow the lawn at the mosque
you know i find it very contradictory that they would make you volunteer. Because from the definition, Volunteer Work is unpaid work the a person does freely of their own will. Well by the school forcing you to do it in order to further your life (which i find is kind of unfair because a job doesn't count as volunteer so if you'd have one you'd probably have to quit) you essentially are no longer doing volunteer work but are working a shitty job for no pay by which the only benefit you get is passing high school and getting your diploma.
PS: this is just another way of the high schools trying to look "higher up" by making themselves seem like they "really work their students hard to make them dedicated" while their teachers walk around like a bunch of idiots who don't care about how their students learn or anything all they do is sit there, drink their coffee and come in once a week for one hour to answer questions! Talk about lazy... education today has gone down the drain... its sad really.. But i don't really blame the teachers themselves to be honest its mainly the board of education which says "ya lets dumb everything down so even the dumbest kids graduate so that way we can make more money.
In the words of the great George Carlin - The schools will look great, the IQ of the country slips another two or three points and pretty soon all you're gonna need to get into college is a freakin pencil!, got a pencil? GET IN THERE ITS JUST PHYSICS!"
Then of course we all get to university and find out that the material there is way way harder than what it was in high school :P it really sucks X_X
But ya thats just my two cents i know i kinda went way off track there :D but bottom line, you could just tell them "i'm volunteering to not conform with your volunteering policy and i've been doing that since i started in this place :D" or you could always do "work" for a friend of your families and have them sign the form. You don't necessarily need to volunteer at a work place or anything like that so you know.
Post a Comment